Michael Lavorgna

Sort By: Post DateTitle Publish Date
Michael Lavorgna  |  Nov 05, 2012
David Byrne of Talking Heads fame offers up 300+ pages on music including the meaning of listening to music, the music business, the history of music-making, recording, why CBGBs was a special place to make music in (partly because people didn't always have to listen to the music being made), how the place influences the music made in it, how business can influence musical decisions, and why music is man's cosmic connection to all things. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was Music.
Michael Lavorgna  |  Nov 03, 2011
OK. Back in the hotel, showered. Our power company said, "We expect to have 95% of customers in your area to have power by the end of Thursday and the remaining 5% by Friday night." Guess what? Looks like we're in the top 5%!

Here's what's in-house and on deck—the Halide Design DAC HD, a pair of Paradigm "Shift" A2 powered desktop speakers, Bel Canto DAC1.5, NAD C 446 Digital Media Tuner, some new goodies from Musical Fidelity, NAD DAC 1 Wireless USB Digital-to-Analogue Converter and more and more on the way!

Michael Lavorgna  |  Oct 03, 2013

I reported on my outing, along with my friend Stephen Mejias (see his show report), to the Jenny Hval concert at the Mercury Lounge. Stephen sent me a link to this video of one song that was recorded at that show by a guy standing about two feet to my left. And its interesting because there's something missing from this video.

Michael Lavorgna  |  Feb 28, 2012
Setting up for the practicum part of our NAS series is going to take some time. Here's what's on-hand, in-house and ready to go in the Streamer/Network Player department:
Michael Lavorgna  |  Jul 30, 2012
Here’s an indispensable entry for every Audiophile library—Daniel J. Levitin’s This Is Your Brain On Music (Dutton, 2006) which explains, among many other things, why being a musician, even a poor one, is much more important than having an expensive car:
Michael Lavorgna  |  Oct 04, 2012
Reader Chris P. sent me an email mainly to talk about his new-found speaker stands:
As soon as I saw the pictures of your cool home setup, I slapped myself for not elevating my own desktop monitors as you've done. After searching around unsuccessfully for a solution I stumbled upon yoga blocks. I am now the proud owner of two Manduka artisan wood yoga blocks that seem to do a good job.
I thought this was something worth sharing mainly for the nice vibe Chris has going on around and on his desktop. I also think this would make a great feature if more people were interested in sharing what their desktop/computer-based audio setups look like. After all, its only in the living with our gear that its real value begins to shine.

Here's the skinny on Chris' setup from Chris:

Michael Lavorgna  |  Jan 26, 2013
The Bill Dixon Orchestra Intents and Purposes

Stereophile's 2012 Records To Die For has just come online. R2D4 is one of my favorite features and John Atkinson was kind enough to ask me to participate for the first time in 2012. You can see my picks here.

Michael Lavorgna  |  Oct 24, 2011
One of the questions in terms of deciding whether or not to go down the native DSD-road is—where does one get DSD music? While you can rip SACDs, that’s the subject of an entire article on its own but suffice it to say it is not a simple procedure (you can start here). In terms of downloads, I’m only aware of one source at present www.downloads.net and their DSD offerings are $40/album and the selection is limited to under 20 titles.
Michael Lavorgna  |  Feb 02, 2012

from MTV c.1993 featuring Michael Fremer! and Neil Young!
Michael Lavorgna  |  Feb 17, 2014
My Ayre QB-9 DSD review is in the works. Included therein will be a comparison between the old QB-9 and the new QB-9 DSD. Should be interesting. Let the best Ayre win!
Michael Lavorgna  |  Jul 05, 2012
Mytek Digital Stereo 192-DSD DAC ($1,695)

A few readers have asked - "What's next!" - so here's an updated list of a few things that are in-house and on-deck.

Pages

X