Resources: How To Play a DSD File: using Foobar2000
Setting up Foobar2000 for DSD Playback
Installing your DAC's drivers:
1. The first thing you'll need to do is install the custom drivers provided by your DAC manufacturer. These drivers will come on disc or in most cases you can also download them from your DAC manufacturer's website.
2. Once you've downloaded and run the install for your DAC manufacture's drivers, open Foobar2000.
3. Go to File > Preferences > Playback > Output and select "Add New".
4. Select your DAC manufacturer's driver under "Drivers" and click "OK". Once this is complete, close Foobar2000.
Installing the ASIO Output and SACD Plug-in:
5. Download the ASIO output plug-in for Foobar2000 from www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio.
6. When the download is complete, save the file foo_out_asio.fb2k-component to the Foobar2000 Components folder.
7. Download the SACD Decoder plug-in for Foobar2000 from sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files. This is a zip file so you'll need to unpack it.
8. Open the new zip folder and double-click ASIOProxyInstall.exe. Follow the onscreen instructions using the default install.
9. After the installation is finished, copy the foo_input_sacd.dll file into Foobar2000's Components folder.
10. Open Foobar2000
11. Select Components.
12. Select Playback > Output > ASIO.
13. You will see a list of your ASIO drivers. Double click foo_dsd_asio.
14. In the ASIO Driver dropdown, select your DAC's ASIO driver.
15. The next step will vary based on your DAC. Some DACs provide Native ASIO playback while others use DoP. Check your DACs user manual for the correct setting and under DSD Playback Method select either "ASIO Native" or "dcs marker 0x05/0xFA".
16. Select Output. In the "Device" dropdown select foo_dsd_asio.
17. Click on Tools and select SACD.
18. Click on the ASIO Driver Mode dropdown and select "DSD".
That does it. Now just load up some DSD files and play away.
How to Play a DSD File: